- Back to work after a four-day weekend. I guess I’ve got to figure out how to keep myself busy today, since the search server seems to have run smoothly all weekend (for the first time ever AFAIK ).
- I know I keep on talking about it, but my living room is so much more homey with something to sit on. I’ll post a picture later today. I think I even have pictures of the room when it was empty, so I’ll be able to do a before-and-after.
Category: Jake’s Brainpan
- I called for DSL today. They’re backordered, so I have to wait until the 12th for them to hook it up, but then I’ll have my own full-time ‘net connection. Hmmmm- what flavor of server to run? Mac? NT? Linux? (How well does Frontier run under Linux right now?)
- Woohoo!! I the sofa-sleeper and love-seat showed up today! They even carried them up to the third floor for me!!!
- I spent a large part of the day sorting out old hard-drives. The dilemma at this moment is what to do with 70MB of old email which I’ll probably never look at again, but which I don’t have the heart to throw away. Speaking of which, I found this:
May 24, 1996
My fear is that if I don’t get on that plane, I’ll have missed out on one of the most important possibilities of my life- and that if I do, I’ll just get rejected and feel worse than before. How to deal with this… How to reconcile this kind of inner conflict? Is is possible?
- JAHOO! made the top 100 ETP sites today. I’m not quite sure why- there’s not much there except a ripped-off look and feel, and my bookmarks list…
- My couch arrives tomorrow!!! YAY! I’ll finally have something to sit on in my living room!
- I’m watching Spielberg’s first film on TNT right now: Duel, a great low-budget film from 1971.
- I can see that my dad hasn’t taken up the challenge of DadMight.EditThisPage.com. Maybe he should be spammed?
- Jake’s Brainpan made number 87 on the EditThisPage.com site rankings page, and I only started it on Wednesday! I guess the Y2KSF pictures were a hit!
- I made banners for the sites I’m managing at ETP.com:
Happy New Year!
Well, my evening was a bit confused, but I managed to have a good time without having any specific plans.
I went to my friend’s house for a while, and at around 11:00 (yeah, I know it was a little late), I hopped downtown to check out the scene at the Embarcadero.
As I promised, I brought the camera with me so I could let you all in on the celebration here in San Francisco. I was paying more attention to what was happening around me than to the quality of the pictures, but I did manage to capture a few good ones anyway.
Here’s a teaser: (Hint: click the picture to see more Y2KSF pictures)
- I went to buy a bunch of furniture today: Sofa sleeper, love seat, coffee table, end tables…
- I’m gonna bring the camera I got yesterday for the celebration tonight. I’ll post pictures here later…
- Ok, so I couldn’t help myself. I went out and picked up a digital camera: a Kodak DC215 Zoom. Now I can put photos up all over the place. Oh, what fun… Now I just have to figure out how to use it!
- We’re getting ready to try out an NT server for search.macweek.com, to try to abate some of the problems we’ve been having with the server bogging down after a couple of hours. I hope it helps. It’s been my experience that with the exception of the outline processer’s UI, Frontier seems to be both faster and more stable on Windows NT than on MacOS.
- I’ve been trying to sign up to a group that I was invited to join at www.anyday.com, but their directions are vague, and following them doesn’t seem to do what they say it will. I managed to get an account, but I can’t for the life of me manage to join the group. Frontier could do this much better…
- What are your New Year’s plans? I have none. Lame, huh?
- I’m feeling a little better today. I’m at work for a half-day.
- I just struck upon an idea: I could use multiple Manila sites (and guest databases) to host different sections of Macworld. Now how to split it up? By issue? By year? By content area? Still thinking about this…
- It’s true- I am getting sick. I stayed home from work today, and I’m coughing, sneezing, and running at the nose… Oh well. I just hope I’m at least mostly over it by New Year’s Eve.
- I ordered DSL with 5 static IP addresses today. They’re supposed to hook it up on the 12th, barring the end of the world.
- I saw a small note on Scripting News that they had implemented preliminary support for static sites from Manila. I’m wondering what the paradigm is. Will this support scalable content as well?
- I just posted a new picture on Sally’s website. I really need to get a digital camera so I don’t have to scan the big pieces in sections, to be edited together. At Sonic, I used to have access to a really big scanner, but now I’ve only got an 8.5″x11″.
- I heard today on NPR that the New Years Eve festivities at the Space Needle in Seattle have been cancelled. Here’s the story on CNN.
- I’m working on getting Macworld.com running as a Manila site.
- I’ve been getting pretty sick of the financial folks at Sonic. I left there the day before Thanksgiving, and I have 90 days to exercise my stock options. At my exit interview, they misrepresented the number of options I have vested, and now I’ve been unable to get them to send me the information I need in order to exercise them. It’s been almost two weeks, and I’ve emailed repeatedly to no avail. I’ve already missed one opportunity to double my money, and I expect there will be at least one more before they dry up. Anyone have experience here? I’ve heard from some friends that it can be incredibly difficult to get a former employer to cooperate when dealing with stock options…
- It’s Sally’s Birthday today!
- It seems as though I’m coming down with something. My sinuses are irritated, and my nose is running. Gee, I wonder who I got that from…
- We’re back in green-screen colors. You like? (I always did think the green-on-black look was easy to read.)
Welcome to my new homepage.
I’ll be visiting here regularly, and posting snippets of thought, and links to stuff I find interesting.
It’s your standard weblog, but if I have some extra inspiration, I may do some slightly more interesting things.
Look around, post responses, don’t be afraid!