Jake Savin | Seattle, WA | +1 (415) 307-1556
Passionate, veteran program/product manager for innovative, consumer-facing technology companies that build best-in-class user experiences spanning web, desktop, and mobile applications and platforms. I provide the leadership and technical depth needed to bring projects in on time, and on budget.
I bring to the table uniquely broad product development experience spanning software engineering, interaction design, program management, and testing over the course of nearly two decades.
Since the 1990’s, I have been bringing innovative and successful software products to market, including early DVD authoring systems, web content and development platforms, blogging and podcasting applications, IM and online communication, and mobile apps for iOS and Android devices.
- Natural team leader focused on group excellence, with great communication skills, a strong desire to maximize and grow individuals, and the empathy to back it up.
- Cross-functional collaborator with a rare breadth of experience across software engineering, project/program management, UX design, people management, and strategy.
- Consistent product and customer focus, backed up by broad experience with a wide range of teams, project methodologies, technologies, and platforms.
Skills and Expertise
Senior Technical Project Manager / L4 Mobile / 2015-present
Managing multiple development teams to deliver consumer-targeted apps for iPhone, iPad, Android phones and tablets, game consoles, and “set-top” devices.
Director of Project Management / Black Pixel / 2013-2014
Built and managed the PM team for Black Pixel’s rapidly growing iOS and Android mobile app agency, reporting to C-level principals. Clients are mainly large consumer-facing companies in the media, sports, and retail markets. Project teams from 3 to 25 people, with durations from 6 weeks to over a year.
- Created and implemented lightweight processes and tools to help enable 2x growth in under a year
- Recruited, hired, and managed team of 5 PMs starting as one of only two individual contributors
- PM team managed multiple concurrent projects and shipped over 20 releases in 14 months
- Drove definition and documentation of Black Pixel’s project processes and best practices
- Contributed significantly to the definition of the company-wide employee performance review process, including training managers, and implementing scheduling and reporting tools
Product Owner / Hitachi Data Systems / 2012-2013
One of four product owners / ScrumMaster on a 40 person agile startup team, in the competitive and fast-moving enterprise private cloud market. Software integrated with VMware to manage physical and virtual datacenter infrastructure, and included web and native UI, JSON API, and command-line interface. Customers: Fortune 1000, and large service providers.
- Created UX guidelines, and started cross-discipline working group to unify the product
- End-to-end functional and wireframe design, specification, and execution of multiple core features
Additional responsibilities included customer demos and presentations, requirements definition, executive reviews, end-user docs, training and marketing collateral, roadmap and backlog, competitive analysis.
Program Manager / Microsoft / 2006-2012
Technical program manager on Windows Live client platform, supporting eight application teams, including Messenger, Mail, SkyDrive, Photo Gallery, Movie Maker and others. Managed teams of 3-6 dev/test engineers, with “v-teams” up to 35. Shipped multiple releases to over 350M users, in 90+ languages.
- Liaison between client application, client platform, and server back-end teams
- Delivered common UI controls and client-side database components across multiple releases
- Features included: contacts, authentication and identity, fast search, social feeds and sharing
- Security, privacy, and release compliance for multiple apps shipped “in-the-box” with Windows 8
Senior Developer / UserLand Software / 2000-2006
Developed web applications and developer tools in UserLand’s Manila, Radio UserLand, and Frontier platform. Company and products were early influencers: blogs, RSS, podcasting, and web standards.
- Project lead, and lead developer of Radio UserLand blogging and RSS feed reading app
- Developed multiple web apps for clients including Salon.com, Oracle, Wells Fargo
- Represented the company as senior engineer in Internet standards and interoperability efforts
- Designed and developed platform-level extensibility and localization frameworks
1999-2000: Mac Publishing • Web CMS Developer—Extended in-house CMS and search service with new features, and spearheaded move to database-backed content and rendering systems.
1996-1999: Sonic Solutions • Build Engineer • Designed and delivered in-house build automation farm, migrated company to new source code control system, trained and supported development staff, and owned branch management. • SDET • Developed first in-house test automation tools, improved dev/test engineering process and enhanced bug database.
1992-1996: Recording artist • Roadrunner Records (Amsterdam) • Bassist, recording engineer, guitar tech, and gig-wrangler with Painting Over Picasso, a 7-piece indie rock band. We played all original music at ~300 shows with audiences from 2 to 20,000 people, and released one album and two singles.
- iOS and Mac Application Development Certificate, University of Washington, 2013
- BA music composition, informal minor in cognitive psychology, Reed College, 1992
- Extension Physics (not for credit), Harvard University, 1986