Hi all—here’s an update following my previous post asking for some WordPress advice: I pulled the trigger, and now all of the content from Jake.EditThisPage.com is ported over to JakeSavin.com. Amazingly it worked right the first time! When does that ever happen?
Most, if not all of the links into the old site now redirect to the right place here. For the moment they’re temporary redirects, but after a bit more testing I’ll make them permanent so they’ll get picked up by search engines and the like. And contrary to my initial fears, the problem with pages living at multiple URLs was able to be easily resolved by redirecting via mod_rewrite rules in my .htaccess file.
404: Just say no!
The content of that site spans the period from December 22, 1999 to March 11, 2003, and all of the posts from that site are in their own category to make them easy to find.
Next I’m going to write some code to export my Radio UserLand site to WXR (WordPress eXtended RSS) format, so I can merge that content in too. I know a lot more now than I did when I started this work with Manila, so it should be quite a bit easier. After that, a one-off exporter for my custom WebsiteFramework site, Jspace.org. That one goes way back to 1997!
Be First to Comment